Brazilian Jiu Jitsu legend Garry “The Lion Killer” Tonon, 26, has successfully transitioned to mixed martial arts. Fighting out of Monroe Township, New Jersey, United States, he is currently signed with ONE Championship and is an undefeated fighter with 2 wins.
Tonon made a successful professional MMA debut on March 24, 2018 at “ONE: Iron Will” at the Impact Arena in Bangkok, Thailand, which also marked his ONE Championship debut. He knocked out his Malaysia-based Filipino opponent Richard “Lion Heart” Corminal, 36, via punches and elbows.
On July 27, 2018, Tonon returned to the ONE Championship cage and submitted his Singapore-based Indian opponent Rahul “The Kerala Krusher” Raju, 26, at “ONE: Reign of Kings” at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila, Philippines. Here are the official “ONE: Reign of Kings” results:
- Featherweight bout: Xie Bin defeats Sor Sey by Submission (Guillotine) at 1:55 minutes of round 1
- Strawweight bout: Rene Catalan defeats Stefer Rahardian by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series (Muay Thai) Catch Weight (68.0kg) bout: Chamuaktong Fightermuaythai defeats Brown Pinas by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Strawweight bout: Joshua Pacio defeats Pongsiri Mitstatit by Submission (Armlock) at 3:37 minutes of round 1
- ONE Super Series (Muay Thai) Bantamweight bout: Panicos Yusuf defeats Han Zi Hao by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series (Muay Thai) Catch Weight (72.5kg) bout: Chris Ngimbi defeats Armen Petrosyan by Split Decision (SD) after 3 rounds
- Lightweight bout: Garry Tonon defeats Rahul Raju by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 3:27 minutes of round 3
- Lightweight bout: Eduard Folayang defeats Aziz Pahrudinov by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Welterweight bout: Renzo Gracie defeats Yuki Kondo by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 1:40 minutes of round 2
- Lightweight bout: Shinya Aoki defeats Shannon Wiratchai by TKO (Strikes) at 2:16 minutes of round 1
- ONE Interim Bantamweight World Championship bout: Kevin Belingon defeats Martin Nguyen by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 5 rounds