06 August 2018 – Shanghai, China: The largest global sports media property in Asian history, ONE Championship™ (ONE), has just announced the complete card for “ONE: Beyond the Horizon,” which is set for September 8, 2018 at the Baoshan Arena in Shanghai, China. It will be co-headlined by Honorio “The Rock” Banario, 28, of the Philippines and Amir Khan, 23, of Singapore.
Banario is a former ONE Featherweight World Champion who eventually transitioned to the lightweight division of ONE Championship. Hailing from a small farming town in the mountainous Benguet region of the Philippines, he is representing Team Lakay of Baguio City.
While attending the Cordillera Career Development College in La Trinidad, Benguet, Banario earned a wushu scholarship and won several national tournaments. Although he spent most of his time competing against Team Lakay, he was intrigued by an invitation to train with them and decided to take it up.
Under the guidance of Team Lakay head coach Mark Sangiao, Banario developed into one of the team’s top talents. In recent years, the former ONE Featherweight World Champion has proven to be one of the most dangerous competitors atop ONE Championship’s lightweight division.
On the other hand, Khan is a former Muay Thai champion in Singapore. He moved to the United States to attend high school in Louisiana, where he began cross-training in wrestling and Brazilian jiu-jitsu under BJJ black belt Relson Gracie.
Upon returning to Singapore in 2014, Khan joined Evolve MMA and became a part of its famed competition team. in the same year, he joined ONE Championship and has since accumulated several highlight-reel finishes, highlighting his immense talent and growing skills.
In Khan’s most recent bout, Khan stopped Sung Jong Lee, 32, of South Korea with punches in the second round. Banario will be the Singaporean fighter’s third Filipino opponent in ONE Championship.
In the main event of “ONE: Beyond the Horizon,” reigning ONE Women’s Strawweight World Champion “The Panda” Xiong Jing Nan of China will defend her title against Samara “Marituba” Santos of Brazil. Here is the complete “ONE: Beyond the Horizon” fight card:
- Phat Soda vs Elipitua Siregar: Mixed Martial Arts: 56.7kg (Strawweight)
- Hakim Hamech vs Yukinori Ogasawara: ONE Super Series Muay Thai: 61.2kg (Flyweight)
- Daniel Dawson vs Mustapha Haida: ONE Super Series Kickboxing: 72.5kg (Catch Weight)
- Chen Lei vs Muhammad Aiman: Mixed Martial Arts: 65.8kg (Bantamweight)
- Han Zi Hao vs Stergos Mikkios: ONE Super Series Muay Thai: 65.8kg (Bantamweight)
- Roman Alvarez vs Daichi Takenaka: Mixed Martial Arts: 65.8kg (Bantamweight)
- Ognjen Topic vs Tukkatatong Petpayathai: ONE Super Series Kickboxing: 65.8kg (Bantamweight)
- Edward Kelly vs Christian Lee: Mixed Martial Arts: 70.3kg (Featherweight)
- Honorio Banario vs Amir Khan: Mixed Martial Arts: 77.1kg (Lightweight) *co-main event
- Xiong Jing Nan vs Samara Santos: Mixed Martial Arts: 56.7kg (Women’s Strawweight) *ONE Women’s Strawweight World Championship, main event
Ticket information for ONE: BEYOND THE HORIZON is available at www.onefc.com.