22 September 2018 – Jakarta, Indonesia: The largest global sports media property in Asian history, ONE Championship™ (ONE), held another unforgettable evening in Indonesia’s bustling capital city of Jakarta, featuring the best and the brightest in the constantly expanding world of martial arts. “ONE: Conquest of Heroes” sent shockwaves of excitement through the packed Jakarta Convention Center as the card featured a series of compelling bouts, punctuated by a highly anticipated championship rematch.
In the main event, Joshua “The Passion” Pacio of the Philippines fully realized his dream to become a world champion in the sport of mixed martial arts. He dethroned Japanese rival Yoshitaka “Nobita” Naito by clinching a unanimous decision in their rematch to capture the ONE Strawweight World Championship.
Naito showcased his overwhelming grappling skills to consistently bring Pacio to the ground, controlling the action on the canvas late in the contest. Although the Japanese defending champion managed to showcase his wrestling, it was the Filipino challenger who showed striking superiority for the majority of the bout.
Pacio repeatedly connected on Naito with crisp, clean combinations throughout the championship contest while exhibiting solid takedown and grappling defense. In the end, all three judges saw the bout in favor of the Filipino challenger to win by unanimous decision.
“I’m speechless but I want to thank the Lord Jesus Christ and ONE Championship for the privilege and this unexplainable feeling,” Pacio told Mitch Chilson in his post-fight interview inside the cage. “Last week, typhoons struck Baguio City, Benguet and the Cordilleras. A lot of places were hit hard.”
“Many people died and some are still missing,” Pacio added. “This is for all of them. I know that the Cordilleras will come back and rise again soon as one.”
“Of course, I would like to thank my coach Mark Sangiao, who is here, and all our coaches, friends and sponsors,” the newly crowned ONE Strawweight World Champion continued. “They had our back since day one.”
According to Pacio, he tried to counter Naito’s takedowns and grappling. The new champion referred to the Japanese MMA veteran as “a legend” who was “so tough.”
This makes Pacio the third reigning world champion of ONE Championship from Team Lakay to be crowned in 2018. Here are the official “ONE: Conquest of Heroes” results:
- Catch Weight bout (59.0kg): Egi Rozten defeats Riski Umar by TKO (Strikes) at 0:51 minutes of round 3
- Strawweight bout: Adrian Mattheis defeats Angelo Bimoadji by TKO (Strikes) at 2:41 minutes of round 1
- Bantamweight bout: Sunoto defeats Victorio Senduk by Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at 4:12 minutes of round 2
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai Bantamweight bout: Fabrice Fairtex Delannon defeats Yodpanomrung Jitmunagnon by Split Decision (SD) after 3 rounds
- Women’s Atomweight bout: Priscilla Hertati Lumban Gaol defeats Jomary Torres by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Flyweight bout: Kairat Akhmetov defeats Ma Hao Bin by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Lightweight bout: Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev defeats Timofey Nastyukhin by Knockout (KO) at 1:57 minutes of round 1
- Featherweight bout: Koyomi Matsushima defeats Marat Gafurov by TKO (Strikes) at 2:41 minutes of round 1
- Flyweight bout: Danny Kingad defeats Yuya Wakamatsu by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai Flyweight bout: Rodtang Jitmuangnon defeats Sergio Wielzen by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- Strawweight bout: Peng Xue Wen defeats Stefer Rahardian by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 3 rounds
- ONE Strawweight World Championship bout: Joshua Pacio defeats Yoshitaka Naito by Unanimous Decision (UD) after 5 rounds