Former ONE Lightweight World Champion Eduard “Landslide” Folayang, 34, of the Philippines and Amir Khan, 24, of Singapore had yet another face-off during the kick-off press conference for “ONE: Conquest of Champions” on November 20, 2018 at the City of Dreams Manila in Parañaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines. It was their second face-off prior to the fight night.
The press conference was hosted by Mitch “The Dragon” Chilson, 40. It was attended by ONE Championship chief financial officer Hua Fung Teh, City of Dreams marketing operations director Nathan Sorenson and Zilingo chief marketing officer Marita Abraham.
“Thank you all for coming and for all the support,” Folayang stated. “Last year, things didn’t go as I expected. I lost the title. But this year is a new chapter.”
“I worked extremely hard to come back here for another opportunity at the belt,” the former ONE Lightweight World Champion added. “I’ve been inspired by my teammates, my coach and all the fans. This is the biggest bout of my career and I am excited to give the best performance of my life.”
Folayang is representing Team Lakay while Khan is training out of Evolve MMA. The latter defeated Bashir “Somchai” Ahmad, 36, of Pakistan at “ONE: Valor of Champions” at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila on April 24, 2015.
“I’m so happy to be fighting again in Manila,” Khan pointed out. “This is actually the second time. I fought here four years ago.”
Khan said he has all due respect for Folayang, who he described as a great martial artist. However, the Evolve MMA fighter said he is coming for the title and he has worked extremely hard on his game since the beginning of his career.
“I am one hundred percent confident of becoming world champion,” Khan stated. “Winning that title means everything to me. Me and my coach, we have a solid game plan for this fight.”
“The odds may be stacked against me,” the Singaporean fighter added. “I’m fighting the hometown hero. But I won’t let it affect my performance.”
Reigning ONE Heavyweight World Champion Brandon “The Truth” Vera, 41, of the Philippines and Mauro “The Hammer” Cerilli, 35, of Italy also had their second face-off during the press conference. The Italian will challenge the Filipino in the main event of “ONE: Conquest of Champions” while Folayang and Khan are set to compete for the vacant ONE Lightweight World Championship in the co-main event.
Vera, Cerilli, Folayang and Khan had an open workout at the Victory Sports Tower in Diliman, Quezon City, Metro Manila on November 16, 2018. The two pairs of fighters had their first face-off right after the open workout.
Taking place at the SM Mall of Asia Arena in Pasay City, Metro Manila on November 23, 2018, “ONE: Conquest of Champions” will feature eight MMA matches, two Muay Thai bouts and two kickboxing contests. Here is the full fight card:
- MMA flyweight: Rudy Agustian (Indonesia) vs Asraful Islam (Bangladesh)
- MMA flyweight: Rocky Bactol (Philippines) vs Akihiro Fujisawa (Japan)
- MMA strawweight: Jeremy Miado (Philippines) vs Peng Xue Wen (China)
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai bantamweight: Azwan Che Wil (Malaysia) vs Han Zi Hao (China)
- MMA heavyweight: Alexandre Machado (Brazil) vs Hideki Sekine (Japan)
- ONE Super Series kickboxing catchweight (73kg): Samy Sana (France) vs Armen Petrosyan (Italy)
- ONE Super Series kickboxing bantamweight: Deividas Danyla (Lithuania) vs Hiroaki Suzuki (Japan)
- MMA welterweight: Raimond Magomedaliev (Russia) vs James Nakashima (USA)
- ONE Super Series Muay Thai bantamweight: Saemapetch Fairtex (Thailand) vs Alaverdi Ramazanov (Russia)
- MMA lightweight: Honorio Banario (Philippines) vs Rahul Raju (India)
- ONE Lightweight World Championship: Eduard Folayang (Philippines) vs Amir Khan (Singapore)
- ONE Heavyweight World Championship: Brandon Vera (Philippines) vs Mauro Cerilli (Italy)
Meanwhile, here is a clip from the “ONE: Conquest of Champions” open workout: